Thursday, November 20, 2008

Perhaps a little light from a long tunnel...

What a difference an election makes - it's all about dumping far-right, far-left ideologies and really address the issues that affects everybody today and now insurance companies are wanting to play ball as along as everyone is covered!

Speaking of which, this is an excellent summary on the plight of primary care. Again, more of the same but highlights the struggles and obstacles to improving our health care system. As I read this, I was reminded of my experience as a 1st year family practice resident at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota nearly 8 years ago and one of my esteemed preceptors, the now retired Dr. Harley Racer, talked to me about how I only get 15-20 minutes with a patient after I had spent nearly an hour talking to a patient who had diabetes, hypertension, liver disease, and tobacco use and managing the myriad of issues (sound familiar to other family physicians?); I certainly understood his position that we were working within a confines of a messed up system, but he encouraged me not to give up hope; that we went into medicine for noble, selfless reasons. I saw in his aged eyes, knowing that he participated in being a general physician since the 1940's, that he'd seen a world that has changed before him. I never forgot that lesson and I carry it with me to this day. Perhaps, with perseverence, there can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: